The Heart and the Mind - Renewing the Mind
- The Hebrew word "lebab" has been interchangeably translated as both "mind" and "heart"; but, chiefly as "heart" [heart 508 times, mind 12, midst 11, understanding 10]
- The Hebrew word "ruah" has been interchangeably translated as both spirit and mind; but, chiefly as "spirit". [Spirit or spirit 232, wind 92, breath 27, side 6, mind 5, blast 4]
- The Hebrew word "nephesh" has been interchangeably translated as soul, life, mind, heart, and body; but, chiefly as "soul". [soul 475, life 117, person 29, mind 15, heart 15, creature 9, body 8]
- The Hebrew word "kilyah" (meaning "kidneys") has also been translated as mind in NKJ; but, chiefly as kidneys and reins [ kidneys 18, reins 13; 31]
- The chief Greek word for heart is "kardia"
- The chief Greek words for mind are "nous" and "dianoia"
- The first and the last time "heart" is mentioned in the Bible, it has a negative connotation: Gen. 6:5 says that the imagination of the thoughts of man's heart were evil continually and Rev.18:7 talks about Babylon who speaks presumptuously in her heart.
- The mind is never spoken of as believing or having faith; faith is a response of the heart. (Mark 11:23; Romans 10:9)
- God is never talked of as indwelling the mind; He indwells the heart. (2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 3:17; Romans 5:5 )
- But, we are asked to love the Lord with both our heart and mind. (Matthew 22:37)
- Ephesians 4:23 talks about being renewed in the spirit of our mind. Romans 12:2 talks about renewing the mind.
- A new heart is given by God; but renewing the mind is our obligation (Ezekiel 36:26; Romans 12:2)
Heart (the place of intentions, imaginations, intuition, conscience, spirit, and feelings)
- The human heart is called "deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked." (Jeremiah 17:9)
- The imaginations of the thoughts of the human heart are evil from the youth and evil continually, unceasingly (Genesis 6:5)
- The human heart is said to be the place from where are the issues (outgoings) of life. (Proverbs 4:23)
- Jesus said that out of the heart proceeds all evil (Mark 7:19)
- He said that the mouth speaks out of the abundance of the heart (Matthew 12:34)
- He also said that the good man brings good things out of the good treasure of his heart, but an evil man brings evil things out of the evil treasures of his heart (Matthew 12:35). It's a treasure box or treasure chest of human actions.
- The heart is the seat of conscience; it can condemn us (Romans 2:15; 1John 3:20)
- The heart may be hardened (Hebrews 3:8,15)
- The heart must be purified and sanctified, consecrated to God (James 4:8)
- The heart is purified by the blood of Jesus (Hebrews 10:22; 9:14)
- It is with the heart that one believes (Romans 10:9)
- God indwells our heart (2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 3:17; Romans 5:5 )
Mind (the place of memory, intellect, reasoning, and will)
- Before regeneration, the human mind is in enmity with God (Colossians 1:21)
- The carnal mind is in enmity with God (Romans 8:7)
- The mind has desires that are against God (Ephesians 2:3)
- The mind must be renewed (Romans 12:2)
- God wants us to love Him with our mind (Matthew 22;37)
- Our minds must be set on things above (Colossians 3:2)
- The loins of our mind must be girded and we must be sober (1Peter 1:13)
To renew means to think afresh, to make new.
- Lusts rot the mind (2Peter 2:1), Rebellion debases the mind (Romans 1:28), the Devil blinds the mind (2Corinthians 4:4). All this hinders the power of mind to think soundly.
- But, God has given us a spirit of love, power, and sound mind (2Timothy 1:7). We need to walk by the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh (Romans 8; Galatians 5:16)
- Renewing mind helps us to think clearly and know what is God's will, what is the good and perfect will of God (Romans 12:2)
- The mind is renewed by meditating, fixing our minds on, acknowledging, and willing to obey God's word(James 1:25; Colossians 3:2; Philippians 4:8)