Fear is positive when one fears what one is meant to fear.
Fear is negative when one fears what one is not meant to fear.
Fear is healthy when fear keeps our body, soul, and spirit sound.
Fear is unhealthy when it hurts our physical, mental, and spiritual health.
Fear is helpful when it helps us to move forward.
Fear is hindering when it stops us from growing and moving forward.
Examples of Positive Fear
Fear and reverence of the Lord (Departing from evil, Job 28:8; Prov.16:6)
Fearing foreseen danger (Hiding from evil, Prov.22:3)
Fear of authorities in the sense of proper honor and respect is positive and expected (Rom.13:7)
For example, if I hear the horn of a car behind me, I jump off; this protects me from an accident.
Examples of Negative Fear
Fear of the non-existent enemy (Prov.22:13; 26:13)
Fear of false danger (Matt 10:28; Luke 12:5)
For example, if someone fears that he may get cancer just because he saw someone got cancer; that is a negative form of fear, even if it seems that he is able to see some evidence.
Someone has defined negative FEAR as
Spirit of Fear
The Bible tells us that God has not given us the spirit of fear (2Tim.1:7). There is a spirit of fear that rules those who live under the control of the devil (Heb.2:15), who follow his rebellious spirit. But, those who are in Christ are not ruled by such a spirit (Rom.8:15). The fear of man brings a snare (Prov.29:25), but those who trust in the Lord and live in His presence can boldly say "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" (Heb.13:6)
Deliverance from False Fear
1. By Knowledge of Truth (John 8:32)
2. Through the Presence of the Spirit of God, the Helper (2Tim.1:7; 1John 4:4; Psalm 23:4)
3. Through Godly fear (Heb.5:7)
4. By Courageous Faith (Rev.2:10)
5. Through Love (1John 4:18)
Blessings of Fearing the Lord
1. Cleanses us from sin (2Cor.7:1)
2. Keeps us from moral evil (Prov.8:13; 16:6)
3. Protects us from physical evil (Prov.19:23)
4. Helps us to work out our salvation (Phil.2:12)
5. Enables us to rightly serve the Lord (Psa.2:11)
6. God's secret are revealed to those who fear the Lord (Prov.25:14)
7. God's eye is upon those who fear the Lord (Psa.33:18)
8. Gives wisdom (Prov.1:7; 9:10)
9. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life (Prov.14:27;19:23)
10. Keeps us from pride (Rom.11:20)